caravan showcase 2018
13 – 15 May 2018
call for submissions
The caravan showcase presents a programme of the best new English performance to a selection of international promoters, festival organisers and presenters as part of the Brighton Festival. The ambition is to create the conditions for England’s theatre makers to develop international collaborations, tours and exchanges. In previous years companies have secured new commissions, toured to every part of the world and built new international partnerships.
We are now seeking proposals from professional, England-based theatre and performance artists and companies interested in being a part of the caravan 2018 showcase.
Companies/artists that are selected will also receive one-to-one mentoring in the lead up to the showcase to ensure that they can make the most of any opportunities that arise as a result of their participation in the caravan 2018 showcase.
We will invite a group of international presenters, promoters and potential collaborators to Brighton in May 2018 for the caravan showcase. Participating companies and artists will have the opportunity to present their work in a range of ways including:
- A select programme of full length pieces.
- A programme of site sensitive work – an opportunity for companies to present work that does not sit within a traditional theatre space.
- Pitch Sessions – a series of short sessions to pitch ideas or projects to an invited audience of international producers and presenters.
We are also open to companies suggesting ways in which they would wish to share their work to an international network. Please note that due to Brighton Dome’s capital work the showcase will take place across a wide range of performance spaces and non-purpose built venues across the city.
We are able to provide some financial support to cover the costs of participating in the showcase, depending on agreed scale, nature and location of the contribution.
Proposals should include:
- a completed caravan submission form
- a profile of the artist(s) or company
- a brief description of the production or project you wish to present
- a DVD or video link if appropriate
- how you wish to present – full length piece; site-sensitive work; pitch session;
- the type of venue you would need
- a sense of its scale and technical specification
- information on the cost to your company of presenting
- information on why you are interested in engaging with caravan
- the particular international market you are interested in (if any) and any potential partners or promoters you would like to be invited
Please keep your proposal to a maximum of 4 pages.
The deadline for submissions is 10am on Thursday 20th July 2017.
Applicants need to be from professional, England-based theatre and performance companies/artists. If applying to present a piece of work then it must be tour ready at the time of applying with some form of backing (producing, funding or otherwise) in place. The final selection will be made by the caravan curatorial group by the end of September 2017.
Selection will be made according to a number of factors including: quality of theatrical experience, clarity of ambition, suitability for international working, availability of venue, diversity of audience and scale.
If the show has been part of a British Council showcase it will not be eligible for caravan.
All proposals must be received by 10am on Thursday 20th July 2017 in order to be considered.
caravan showcase is delivered by Farnham Maltings and Brighton Festival with the ambition of increasing the national and international profile of England’s artists.